Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Surgeon Consult - #2

Today, we met with our second surgeon. He was recommended by a friend and was noted as one of the best at laparoscopic surgery. We ended up having to wait an extremely long time in the waiting room, almost to the point of walking out. We finally got in and first consulted with his head fellow, which made us a little shaky. We finally met the surgeon, who was very on point and had an odd sense of humor, which obviously put me at ease.

We discussed the options, and talked about the procedure. He also did a suprise flex sigmoidoscopy (which I didn't prepare for) so he could check out how the rectum looked. After a little cleanup, we gathered again and he gave us his final thoughts, which was that I'd be a good candidate for the JPouch. I was obviously healthier than many persons he sees and felt with my condition and general health, I should tolerate the surgery quite well. [In retrospect, we were both horribly wrong on this account.]

He was very open with questions and even chuckled at some of my few direct ones. Maybe he doesn't get people with my attitude all the time and maybe he looked at it like a challenge... Who doesn't like one every now and again. He is typically booked 6 weeks out for surgery, so we picked a date, just to reserve, should we want to use him. The staff was nice as well. All said and done, it was a three hour appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment