Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Back to Work (and Golf)

Just had another followup with my surgeon to look at the progress of the irrigation wound.  Last evening, (and today) we were unable to get any packing in the wound and my wife was unable to get even the stick end of an applicator in as well.  The doc is happy with its healing and noted it won't need packing and only dressed if it leaks.  He noted there was extra skin build up around the anus, but isn't an issue, unless it becomes bothersome.  If it does, then we would look to actually have surgery to remove that extra skin:  I haven't been on a bicycle or tried running yet, so those are the two likely aggrevators.  He noted he wouldn't do surgery until at least next year, so let's hope it isn't bothersome.

I don't have another followup for another six weeks, which I think is the longest we'll go without seeing each other since our initial consultation 16 months ago.  I've got the thumbs up to go back to work and for any activity, including golf and swimming:  Considering those are the two activities I'm looking forward to most, that's a huge plus.

I'm still fighting with a fungal and bacteria skin infection for the last few weeks.  It doesn't seem to have affected the wounds, just extremely irritating with the itching.  After a nice course of oral antifungals, I'm back to taking a short course of antibiotics to help with the MRSA.  Other than a nasty sunburn as a result, everything seems to be on it's way out.

I don't expect to have much to report over the next few weeks, as I don't have many doctors appointments (at least none that are GI related.)  It seems as my health is getting better, I have less and less to report.  While this is definitely a step in the right direction, it's amazing how this writing has been a help, both morally and spiritually.  It will be something that I will miss.  Let us hope the next few weeks are uneventful and we'll see each other again in August.

2 comments:

  1. Hey J Haas, I had UC and had the first step of surgery about 9 months ago. My J pouch has been inflamed and stuff for about 8 months and my GI dr recommended having it removed. I pretty much just want to get on with my life, so I agree. If you're willing, would you send me your email so I can ask you a few questions about your experience? I'd so appreciate it. I love your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete