Sunday, December 14, 2008

Thoughts of Removal

Not much changed over the next few semesters, other than watching my GPA plummet (sorry Ma) and the thought that living with UC was becoming too much of a burden. I was having fewer bleeding flare-ups, but I was always still touch-and-go with being able to hold it and having it catch me off guard. As a result, I started to consult some Dr. friends of mine (actually, parents of my friends) to get their input into possible outcomes.

At the time, I never contacted a proper colorectal surgeon, or I think they would have pulled it at that point in time. Those around me talked me out of it, with the thought of whatever we have now will only get better later. [They were right about that one, as I would fine many years later.] I just succumbed to how life was gonna be and just try to work around it. At the time, it was frustrating as it could possibly be, but, I must say, I've got some funny stories (of course, potty stories) as a result. At the end of the day, if you can't laugh at the odd places and times you've had to defecate, well, I guess there's other things you could laugh at, but these were far too frequent and real.

As with many college students, I was finding alternative medicine. This was able to assist in slowing down my bowels, as the meds I was taking were just not cutting it. This wasn't a pleasant realization to my mother (don't ask how I botched that conversation), but I think she was happy that it helped. Now, it may not have been the MAIN reason for it, but what the hell, kill two birds with one stone. Combining that with a college budget (and our mess halls), I can't say I ever really had a diet. Again, to young and dumb to figure that part out. Ironically, the easiest thing was the key piece that I was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment