Sunday, December 14, 2008

UC: The First Year (pt 1)

I headed back to school with a new diagnosis of ulcerative colitis, and the start of medication. A hefty dose of prednisone to try and get it under control, along with (at the time) an experimental drug of Asacol. The next few months wouldn't necessarily be any different than the rest, although not nearly as much blood, but just as much urgency.

I'm fairly certain this is when my sleep problems began: I can't say it was because of the UC, or because of the psychological effect of the diagnosis. I was already a night owl, but even owls should sleep. I was not getting up as frequently to use the facilities, but enough that I don't remember making it through every night.

I can't say I had the greatest diet to assist in my healing, as Domino's delivered and Taco Bell was on campus (I think at that time.) I was spending many late nights playing table tennis or pool in the rec room (a pattern to continue for many years) and chain smoking like a coal miner. Being 19, I can't say I was ever really looking out for my health. [This would change later in life, but more because of my wife than of my own accord.]

I never really lost weight, as I was as skinny as a beanpole when I got to school: I just never really put on any weight. "Freshman 15"... Yeah, right. Somebody out there got 30, cuz I didn't get any. It would take me years to finally put on weight, four years for 10 lbs. [Ironically, after my colectomy 18 years later, I would be back to my freshman weight, looking alot worse for wear though.]

I don't really remember having many accidents, but I've had to pick some fairly interesting places to avoid them. Typically, I'd get about 5 minutes to choose and commit, or else. Many of my choices had to occur outside, around the dorm rooms. Apologies to the persons who stumbled across those: Much like a wild animal, I tried best to cover my tracks.

By the time I made it back for summer break, things had calmed down, but still going frequently, but slow enough to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment