Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Followup #4 Post Takedown

Had the first followup today post scope with the surgeons to check on the progress and determine where we go next.  They were happy with the result of the pouch, but still keeping a cautious eye as I'm still on the drugs.  They have started to ween off the steroids (thank you very much) but will continue with the Cipro for a few more weeks.  My next followup won't be until the 26th and they are not releasing me for work detail yet.  They are still concerned about my strength and the various bleeding that is accompanying some of the movements.  They know it's healing, but it's not healed:  I don't think they want to break a good thing.  Progress.

The drive back from the hospital was a little uncomfortable and I've been having tailbone pain all evening.  It's enough to warrant a percy to try and make it tolerable.  I haven't been in a car that long since my last followup and I remember not being real thrilled about that trip either (although, I was drugged up from my scope so I don't think I minded as much.)

The past week has progressively getting better:  The movements have been less - around 6-8 a day.  I only get up twice a night, typically around 1-2 AM and 4-6 AM.  I find that once I'm up the second time, I'm up for good, which makes for really long days.  Napping comes and goes, depending on what the steroids allow me to do.  I've been having blood only in the evenings and typically just with one or two movements.  That is significantly better than a few weeks ago, so that makes me very happy. 

I've been adding more foods to my diet, most notably carbohydrates (oh yeah.)  Each day the body seems to tolerate more and allows me to indulge in some foods that I miss, most notably chocolate.  I'm still avoiding all other dairy, which hasn't been bad by mixing in rice and soy based products, which I think are just as good and even better for you.  I'm still avoiding coffee, safe a few sips, but found some great no caffeine tea that I sip instead of water throughout the day:  Man cannot live on water alone!

My swelling is also subsiding: I've been losing about a pound a day in just water weight.  My kidneys are happy and so are my ankles.  I've lost most of my jowls, but my tummy and knees are a little swollen.  It's tough to track progess now based on weight, as I'm see-sawing on the drugs.  I've pretty much given up on the scale for now and will wait to come off the cortisone for good.  My mobility has been good, but twisting puts some stress on the ab walls which don't typically bother me, but let me know if I've gone to far.  I'm still not driving much, although now that I've been experiencing my wife's driving more frequently, I may start (sorry honey!)

As I've been saying, the location could be better, but the direction is good.  It's a slow process, and everyone knows I'm not the most patient man, but there isn't much choice, so I concede.  Thanks to all that have been sending vibes, prayers,  and thoughts:  They mean a lot to me and the family and make the journey easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment