Sunday, February 7, 2010

New Isn't Always Better

We started the new antibiotic, Xifaxan, on Thursday.  Unfortunately, one of the possible side effects is diarrhea: Now isn't that ironic.  Over the past few days, that's exactly what happened, and I'm doing worse than I was on the previous antibiotic.  We're switching back to the Cipro, as that gave me no side effects, but didn't seem to be curing the pouchitis either.

The cat scan is scheduled for Wednesday to see if there is any fluid collection or some other issue that may be causing external issues to the pouch and the pain in the tailbone.  It's likely it'll be blank like the previous, but I'll try anything at this point.  If it is blank, then we'll have to see what our next steps are:  I've got some ideas, but I'll refrain from posting them now so rumors don't get started :^)

Unfortunately, pouchitis is a possible effect from having the j-pouch.  There is a percentage of the population that get it, but some never get rid of it.  Some people are able to manage it with antibiotics, steroids, or other combinations of medications.  We'll have to see if we can get rid of this bout before worrying about long term meds.  I'm not a real fan of antibiotics (or really any "non-natural" medication.)  As with the previous three months of posts, we shall see with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment