Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pedal to the Metal

Today I had the gastrografin x-ray to check for the size and location of the abscess.  I had this procedure once before just prior to the reversal (stoma takedown):  It was only slightly uncomfortable then, as the stoma was the entrance point for the barium and I could regulate how much dye was contained in the pouch.  Now, being post takedown, there is only one entrance and exit point.  Unfortunately, that removes my ability to regulate any pressure.  Unlike most GI barium x-rays where you get to drink the liquid, they actually inject the barium directly into you via a pump... controlled with a foot pedal.  [I wonder if it comes with a steering wheel.]  The really interesting part is you can actually watch on the monitor the barium being forced back through your system as they are snapping pictures.  The really disappointing part is it feels like you're being expanded like one of the monsters in Dig Dug, and with no way to regulate, you just roll with the punches.  This was by far the most uncomfortable procedure I ever had, but the pictures were really neat!

The good news is we could see the abscess on the xrays:  You could actually see it disperse the fluid back to the tailbone (into the abscess) rather than back through the GI tract.  Filling the abscess was uncomfortable as well, as then I had to wait for that to drain, which took a few hours.  Thank you percocet.  The radiologist seemed happy with the results and noted the abscess was not overwhelmingly large (approx. 4cm) from what we could see and should be easily remediated.

I still need to see my surgeon to determine what they will be doing next Monday.  At this point, everyone is saying it's going to be an outpatient procedure, so I'm interested to see what is planned.  I won't mind coming home that day, but let's just say I haven't been the fastest to recover from any of the previous surgeries.

To all you radiologists out there... go easy on the gas.

3 comments:

  1. Your pedal to the metal reminded me of my pre surgery number 2 dilation visits with my surgeon to help my pouch open/stay open. I laughed so hard at your dig dug connection. Loved that game. I hope that this all gets solved for you and that soon you will be pain free and living large. ML

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dig Dug was one of my favs too. I actually have it for the DS so I could play in the hospital post-op! (Coincidence?)

    I have luckily avoided the dilation: Having a scope gave me similar results, but I was under anesthesia, so I didn't mind at the time. We're shooting for the best. If i cures the pain AND the pouchitis, I'll be very stoked.

    - J;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your doing a great job of hanging in there. I'm sure its tougher than you leave me believe. You remind me that I've got nothing to complain about, except maybe all the snow, and even then...
    Please reach out to us if you need anything whatsoever. I'll be thinking about you over the next days.

    ReplyDelete