Sunday, May 2, 2010

At Least They Work

Taking the steroids once a day didn't improve much, so we quickly switched back to twice a day.  Within 24 hours, I immediately felt better.  As expected, I took on some swelling, crazy appetite, and wacky sleep patterns, but at least I'm sleeping and not going to the bathroom every 2 hours.  Thankfully, this took place over last weekend, which coincided with travel and golf, both of which went very well.  It's nice not to be sore after exercise, so steroids have that upside as well.

I had another catscan on Friday to determine if the abscess is still lurking, which I have to guess it is, as the symptoms I had before going back on the steroids was very similar to last Nov and Dec.  I won't find the results until at least this week or possibly at my next appointment on the 11th.  Based on those discussions, we'll have a course of action to take.  At this point, I'll be on the steroids for another 2 weeks at the current dose, but will be stopping the antibiotics in about 7 days.  Keep a lookout on the fever, but at least I can handle the sun:  Jay + Sun + Antibiotics = Way Worse Sunburn Than Usual.

I've been back to work for two weeks at this point and things are progressing well, especially with the steroids.  I can function normally for a whole day, but am quite exhausted at the end of the day.  Getting up early as a result of not sleeping gets me an early start, which I prefer, as working past dinner seriously disrupts my eating patterns and nightly timings of bathroom breaks, which I like to keep to a minimum.

I know steroids are not the long-term answer, nor do the docs, but at this point let me live a semi-normal life:  Well, maybe the two-a-day suspension steroids aren't "normal", but sometimes you have to change your perspective a little bit.  I never noticed how much I didn't like the caulk job in my bathroom until recently!   :^)

No comments:

Post a Comment