Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Scheduled Followup

Two weeks out and first scheduled followup. I tried to best explain what and where the pain/burning was, but, even with my 'advanced' knowledge of the lower GI system, it was still difficult to explain. After some basic poking and prodding, they still aren't sure what the issue is. They think it may be irritation of the rectal stump or canal area due to liquid output after surgery.

They've up'd my antibiotics to hopefully combat any infection and help with the healing of the irritation. I hope this isn't cuffitis (effectively UC of the few centimeters that are left of the colon), but that can typically be resolved with antibiotics and steroids. I head back in another two weeks for followup and see where we are: I can tell you I won't need two weeks to figure that out. I'll know by next week and sure to do my followup then.

The surgeon left the single stitch in the incision, as he wasn't comfortable with the closure: He was hoping for a little more, but was happy with the way it was looking at this point. I have no idea what the scar will be like, but that is far from anything I care about. We'll think of it as a tattoo, marking some freakish right of passage. Maybe if I work out my stomach muscles enough, I can make it look like my belly is smiling or frowning.

I'm still taking pain meds (especially since people from work have confirmed that it's a good idea) which does help with the pain, but doesn't slow any of the gas pains. I typically avoid them until the afternoon, evening hours, when things are quite active. Thankfully, learning to pass gas has been an easy go and definitely cuts out some of the pain. I don't necessarily go pell-mell at it (especially in public), but it's definitely a feeling you get used to.

I gave the mall a run yesterday with the fam after the appointment. Thankfully, there were painkillers involved, but as they wore off, it was definitely time to go home and take a 2 hour nap (yeah sleep). If I can't get it with the sun down, then I guess it'll be with the sun up.

No comments:

Post a Comment