Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Healing Plateau

If there is such a thing as a plateau in training, is there such a thing in healing? The past few days have shown little improvement since the first few days and things have sort of settled into a pattern. This morning, I realized that the antibiotics are causing me to bleed: Not profusely, but enough that we need to verify with the doctors. Originally I thought it was the steroids, but it seems the steroids help stop the bleeding.

I'm down to only one percocet a day, typically in the evening, when the combination of the bleeding, steroid burn, and general pain is more than I'm willing to deal with. My movements have at least become somewhat "scheduled", so I can plan around when I need to use the toilet. Thankfully, I only need to get up twice at night now to empty, and even those are complete. It's the fact that it wants to be empty keeps me awake, so I oblige so I can go back to sleep.

I'm not sure if it's the meds, or the bleeding, but I do feel general fatigue and malaise in the evening. The mornings are good, so I try to maximize my "doings" then before I start to sputter out. I've only had one or two "steroid rages", which has been good: Thankfully, they aren't oral steroids, for I'm told (sorry Ma) that I'm a raving lunatic on them!

One good step is my weight is on the rise. Not sure if it's water weight from the steroids, or actual fat/muscle, but it's on the rise. Let's hope I don't have one long pee after coming off them and losing it all! :^)

We missed our family dinner this weekend, due to both my current feeling and the weather smothering the northeast. We're hoping the week gets better to make it back home for the Christmas holiday. Best wishes to everyone out there this season and may your holiday wishes be made! (Especially for you that have recently had surgery!)

1 comment:

  1. omgosh! i can totally sympathize with you with regards to "getting to the toilet" planning. who knew that this was something that has to be strategically planned. plus, i've had to change my diet, to ensure everything continues to "run" smoothly.

    kudos to you for getting down to one percoset. i'm doing the same with the morphine! only one at night now! whoohoo! were getting there, jason!

    ReplyDelete