Monday, December 28, 2009

Back Home From the Holidays

We returned home yesterday from the holidays.  It was wonderful to be back home and even better to actually feel well enough to enjoy it.  As the week progressed and the weekend came, the pouch was working better and the bleeding was lessening by the day.  I was able to enjoy those FANTASTIC sugar thrills and not pay the terrible price I was a few weeks ago.  Ironically, it was Christmas day that I tried using the hydrocortisone while being mobile rather than prone:  This made a major difference in the feeling of the cuff of the pouch and the bleeding.  This could be just a function of two weeks of meds or direct application or a gift from Santa:  I'm not going to pick, but I will say I'm thankful for it.  We're still a ways away from 100%, but were heading in the right direction and that's a good direction to be in.

While still on the steroids, I'm starting to swell like a tick.  I've picked up my wife's pregnancy cankles and my jowls extend well past my skinny forehead.  I've been trying to gain weight for nine months, and now have accomplished that at a pretty good pace.  I can't say I didn't get what I asked for, I guess I was thinking of it in a different way!  I'm not nearly as cold as I was a few weeks ago:  I haven't had this much padding in about 7 years.

There is still one week until the followup, so patience is prevailing.  I know that I won't get much for answers next week:  The truth will be told once the medication has rid my system and we try to survive on our own.  Until then, step by step and slow but sure.  To a happy and a healthy new year... !

3 comments:

  1. I think I missed it somewhere in the read. But when and why did they give you steriods? Are they oral? Ok so I think I remember you talking about roid rage and asking forgiveness from your mom. But WHY again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They gave me the steroid enemas for the pouchitis they found during the scope on the 15th. I personally think there was some cuff inflammation as well but don't remember them mentioning that. Because they are enema and not oral, they hit right to the site of the inflammation, rather than the whole body. I still feel some of the effects, but not nearly as bad as oral prednisone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I hate oral prednisone! But I remember it did kick me into remission over three years ago.
    I havent heard anything yet on PET scan. My oncologist doctor told me no news is good news.

    ReplyDelete